Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The Importance of Outlining

Some people believe that outlining a novel or story isn't always important. The people who we call "Pantsers" as they are the ones who write by the seat of their pants. I used to be one of them until I discovered the wonderful thing called an outline.
An outline is basically a guideline for your book. You write down your scenes in order of how you want them in your book. Or you outline by chapter, it really depends on you as a writer. It's important for you to have one at some point in your writing process.

What outlines can do for you as a writer:

  • They keep you from taking your characters down an unplanned road.  I don't know about you but some writers lose track of what they are writing. An outline is a way that you can keep your characters down the right road.
  • You have a clear cut visual of your story. Sure there are still things that might surprise you here and there but not everything should be a surprise to you as the writer. What might come as a surprise is more of an epiphany moment. You finally figured out how to connect point B and C or something along those lines.
  • Outlines can keep you from writing unnecessary scenes. This kind of goes with the first point. Outlines can keep you from writing filler scenes or anything that is unnecessary to the plot of your novel. If you follow your outline, you're sure to not write filler scenes. As long as you don't plot filler scenes (a post I'll get into later).
  • It keeps you organized. Writing can be absolute chaos sometimes. You've got to research and figure out your characters and all sorts of things. Sometimes you have to create some kind of chart to figure out how your character(s) get from point A to point B or how object C connects with the suspect of your character. Having all of this in various places can be really hard to find. It's best to find a way to keep it all in one place. An outline is a nice way to keep it all right there, even if it's just a little note or however you add it to your outline.
  •  It won't add unnecessary characters. This kind of goes along with the unnecessary scenes. Basically, anything that you don't need, it will help you keep them out of your story. It helps when you're editing so you don't have to trim them out later.
  • It helps you explore new ideas for your story. This is one of my favorite things about outlining. It opens up new ideas and subplots for your novels. You will be able to see where a story will go if you changed a scene even in the slightest. You might even find a way to make your story stronger. 
  • It's fun. Okay, this isn't why it's important but I feel like I should add it anyway. I love outlining my novels. There are so many ways to do it too. I do a lot of different things but I generally end up going back to the index cards. 

There are benefits to outlining. If you've never outlined a novel before, then you should consider trying one. Going about it is easy but you should try different methods to figure out which one suits you.

4 comments:

  1. For the longest time, I used to write about 10K-20K words into a story without an outline and then my story would just...falter. And I could never get back into it! It took me forever to realize that my problem was not knowing how to get from B to D because I hadn't considered it before and had worked myself into a corner, so I definitely see the merits of outlining now and swear by it!

    Do you have any tips for how to outline? Do you do chapter-by-chapter with just a sentence or two, or more detailed? Or do you just have the broad ideas and themes outlined?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a lot of tips for outlining and wrote a pretty generic post on it that won't be up until October 25th but I'll gladly go into a little more detail here.

      Generally, I outline chapter-by-chapter or scene-by-scene which is usually with one sentence (the premise) per index card but sometimes that doesn't work for me.

      When I feel like I need to be a little more creative with my planning I make a "Storyboard." It's similar to doing sequencing but I do it on a poster board. I make a little sketch of a few scenes and write abut what's happening. I show the direction of the story with arrows and occasional notes on the side.

      Once, I made a map because my character traveled a lot, so I managed to use the map as my story board.

      As far as details about my stories go, I tend to write the more world building or character building in a notebook or on Scrivener (or whatever program I'm using at the moment).

      I'll have to go back and reference them a lot so I use stick tabs to mark certain areas that I need to go to. This is where I put my themes and other things I find important (research, sketches, or anything pertaining to the novel).

      My outlines are strictly plot. I try not to put specifics on my outline but sometimes I do tend to write them down. Things tend to change and while the premise might be the same the specifics of the scene/chapter might not be. So specific parts I want to add in a scene or chapter get put into a notebook.

      If I'm writing a short story (5k or less) I just plan out the beginning, middle, and end of the story. I find that the less detail I outline, the easier it is for me to write. I'll have a way to get from point B to point D but I have some wiggle room, if needed.

      I hoped this helped a little, and thank you for stopping by.

      Tracey

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the detailed reply! The index card route isn't something I've tried before, but I've heard reiterated by several published authors. And I'll definitely have to give storyboard-ing a go, especially since I'm trying my hand at fantasy this year.

      I look forward to the post on the 25th! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete