Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Timed Writing


Timed writing is probably one of my favorite ways to get over writer's block. It can be used in various ways and you get to set the time limit. My personal favorite for trying to get over writer's block is 10 minutes.

The method is pretty self-explanatory. Set a timer and write. Don't allow your brain to stop you. Some people may think that it's not worth your time to force inspiration but I don't think it's really forcing inspiration as much as it is figuring out how to get over your writer's block.

Some people get writer's block because they have too many issues going on in their life and it's uninspiring them. For some people, it's motivation. There are various ways to get writer's block and there isn't a way to list them all here without this post being too damn long.

Timed writing is one way that helps me get over writer's block or just to get me over my lack of motivation.

Here are some of the ways I use timed writing:

  •  Writing a scene that I am stuck on. Usually, after this point, I can write again. I'll have to change it later but I've figured out what exactly it was I was stuck on and revising it won't be a problem.
  • Writing Prompts. For those times when you are just feeling so uninspired, use a writing prompt. There is no shame in using them.
  • Brain dump. Sometimes, your life is what's holding you back and you just need to vent. Use that in your timed writing. Just release it onto a document that you can delete later. It's a good way to relax as well. 
  • Writing anything about my novel. It doesn't have to be the novel itself. It could be a backstory for a minor character or something about the world I'm creating. That can help.
  • Start something new. It happens. Sometimes, there is an idea just stuck in your head that you can't write anything else. You'll be able to write down what you need and either continue it or you'll find a reason to start and finish your other story.
There are various other ways you could use this method but this one is one of my most used writing tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment