Tuesday, July 26, 2016

My Genre of Choice

Genre
What’s your main genre? Why do you write in that genre? Do you have a tip to share for someone wanting to break into that genre? What genre would you like to break into?

Bonus: What is your favorite book written in your genre? (Written by you or another great writer!)

The main genre I write is Fantasy. I like going into different worlds that I've made and having my characters encounter some really strange things. I also like the freedom I can have with writing in this genre but there are also "rules" that one must follow. Things need to make some kind of sense. You can't just have something work without really knowing how it works. It kind of makes it complicated but I really like this part of it. Sometimes figuring out the mechanics to certain things can change the plot of your novel to something even better or it helps you get a better understand of what is supposed to happen.

My only tip is to know your world and don't allow it to bend to make it easier for your characters. Just because you have the power to do so, doesn't mean that you should. Always give your characters obstacles to face, even smaller ones, because it helps with character development.

I've read a lot of books in this genre but my absolute favorite is almost anything written by Tamora Pierce (almost - some of her books are good but just don't catch my attention). I never have issues going back and rereading her work. Also, Harry Potter is a good book that I can always go back and reread. To be honest, that is how I judge a book. If I have the ability to go back and reread it without pointing out flaws from both the writing and the characters, then it's a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment